What is HIFU?
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) is a prostate cancer treatment that uses sound waves to create heat at a precise point, called the focal point. HIFU is used to heat and destroy targeted tissue during a 1-4 hour outpatient procedure, depending on the size of the gland, that is individually customized for each patient’s prostate cancer treatment.
- Single outpatient procedure
- Quick Recovery
- Equivalent cancer control compared to surgery or radiation
- Radiation Free
- Maintain quality of life
- No incision
- No blood loss
HIFU for Prostate Cancer
- HIFU has similar rates of efficacy as other treatment options for prostate cancer, such as surgery and radiation, with a lower risk of erectile dysfunction and incontinence
- Men usually return to their normal lifestyle within a few days and the procedure can be repeated if necessary
- It may be used as a salvage treatment option when a person has already had radiation, Cryotherapy or surgery and the cancer has returned
- HIFU does not preclude other treatment options
Sonablate is the minimally invasive medical device used to deliver HIFU to the prostate during treatment. The state-of-the-art technology consists of a console where the physician plans, monitors and adjusts HIFU treatment, a transrectal probe and a chiller, which is a safety device that keeps the rectum cool during treatment.
What You Can Expect
The HIFU procedure typically lasts between 1-4 hours, depending on the size of the prostate, and is either done under general anesthesia or an epidural and IV sedation. In some cases, during the procedure, a Suprapubic catheter will be put into place to help with urination. After the HIFU treatment, patients will be monitored for about 1-4 hours, depending on the size of the gland, before returning home. Most men resume their normal lifestyle within a few days.
HIFU treatments are offered at our Urology Surgery Center, and are performed by:
HIFU Prostate Services would be happy to discuss payment options for this prostate cancer treatment.
If you have any questions please call HIFU Prostate Services at 1(877)884-HIFU (4438).