What is Rezum?
Rezum is a water vapor therapy that is a safe and effective treatment option for BPH. Rezum is intended to relieve symptoms, obstruction and reduce prostate tissue associated with BPH. It also treats prostates with hyperplasia of the central zone or median lobe.
More about Rezum:
- Potential alternative to daily medication
- Office-based procedure
- Customized number of treatments (9 seconds each)
- Preservation of erectile function and urinary continence
- Low rate of side effects and complications
- Similar symptoms improvement to surgical options
- Clinically proven results with symptoms improvement in 2-3 weeks
- Treatment of the median lobe / cental zone
About the Rezum therapy:
Rezum is a safe and effective treatment option to relieve symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH, by using the natural energy stored in water vapor, or steam. During each 9 second treatment, sterile water vapor is released throughout the targeted prostate tissue. When the steam turns back into water, all the stored energy is released, causing the treated tissue cells to die. Over time, the body’s natural healing response removes the dead tissue cells, shrinking the prostate. With the extra tissue removed, the urethra opens, reducing BPH symptoms. Most patients begin to experience symptom relief in as soon as two weeks and maximum benefit should occur within three months.
- Antibiotics course
- Cease anticoagulants prior if appropriate (Medical Clearance is required)
- Advise for current medications, including BPH medications
- Discuss preparation, as appropriate
- Patients should allow up to 2 hours for the procedure
- Patients may experience dysuria for 7-10 days (irritative symptoms, urgency, frequency)
- Warm sitz bath or sitting on a hot water bottle may help
- Avoid caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate) and alcohol for 2-4 weeks
- Mild pain medication such as Tylenol may be taken
- May have a catheter for 72 hours
- May experience blood in urine or ejaculate for a few weeks
- Avoid activities that may irritate the prostate for up to 4 weeks, such as sexual activity, bike riding, etc.