A practicing urologist since 2009
Dr. Duong was born in Saigon, Vietnam and arrived with his family in the United States as war refugees. He grew up in Knoxville, TN, as the eldest of three children. With the help of private scholarships, he earned a B.A. in Molecular Biophysics & Biochemistry and Religious Studies at Yale University. He subsequently earned both an M.D. and a Ph.D. in Molecular Physiology & Biophysics at Vanderbilt University in the NIH-funded Medical Scientist Training Program. He completed his internship in general surgery and residency training in urology at Stanford University. Over the course of his career, he has published numerous scientific articles and presented his work at national meetings.
In 2009, Dr. Duong established a well-respected private practice in the heart of San Francisco, specializing in minimally invasive urologic surgery. In the summer of 2017, he moved back to Tennessee to be closer to family and joined Urology Associates, P.C.
Dr. Duong is married to David Matthews, a fourth generation farmer in North Carolina. They enjoy travel, food and wine, and spending time with family. His sister, Joy Cox, practices obstetrics and gynecology at Heritage Medical Associates, and his brother-in-law, Charlie Cox, practices orthopedic surgery at Vanderbilt University.
Minimally Invasive Urologic Surgery
Other involvements and memberships:
- American Urological Association
- Endourological Society
- Tennessee Medical Association
- Saint Francis Foundation, Prior Board Member
- Saint Francis Memorial Hospital, Prior Board Member
- San Francisco Marin Medical Society, Prior Board Member
- Nashville Academy of Medicine, Board Member
- NIH Medical Scientist Training Program
- Leopold Schepp Scholar
- Elizabeth Buford Shepherd Scholar
- Elias Kulukundis Scholar
- Century III Leaders Scholar