Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies
Doctor talking with patient

PSA refers to prostate-specific antigen. Testing for this protein that is produced by the prostate is often done as a screening test for disorders of the prostate, including prostate cancer. PSA tests are often done by primary care physicians in the course of a routine physical. If your levels are high, your primary care doctor may refer you to a urologist.

It is important to note that elevated PSA levels are not always indicative of prostate cancer, but they are usually an indicator that you may need further testing. If you have elevated PSA levels, your urologist may recommend that you undergo a prostate biopsy to determine if you have any cancerous cells. The results of those tests will be used to diagnose prostate cancer or decide if you need more testing to determine if you have another prostate disorder.

If you are concerned about prostate health, make an appointment with a urologist at Urology Associates, P.C. For more information about our urologists and cancer treatments in Nashville, call 888-656-0667.